Alison Wong, the master mind behind Butter Projects in Royal Oaks Michigan, leads us through the process of building a canvas stretcher.
- On a table saw, rip lumber at a 15 degree angle down the length of board.
- On a miter saw, make 45 degree cuts on the ends of your framing pieces.
- Glue, clamp, and screw together all four sides of your stretcher bars.
- If necessary cut, glue, clamp, and screw cross braces on the interior of your frame.
- Measure and cut enough raw canvas to wrap around your stretchers.
- Stretch and staple canvas to the frame – beginning in the center and working your way around, alternating from opposite sides.
- Fold corners and staple.
- Canvas is now ready to be painted with gesso primer.
Take a closer look at Alison’s stunning artwork here.
Alison is wearing styles from the Carhartt Women’s Spring 2016 Collection.