Last week, we talked about how the Chicago start-up, Flowers for Dreams, donates one fourth of their profits to local charities. Well, the donated buck doesn’t stop there. Amanda Forgash and Natalie Pappas are florists for this socially minded business. They are spearheading the movement of transparent pricing in the wedding market. You can now give back to your community as you plan your wedding and rest assured that there won’t be hidden fees or markups before the process is complete.
Take a peak at the Flower for Dreams Lookbook for some inspiration.
Tips from Amanda and Natalie about getting into the florist business:
- Begin working at a floral shop and see if it’s the right fit.
- Keep in mind you will be starting from the bottom and working your way up. Be prepared to get dirty!
- All florists started sweeping the floors of a flower shop, prepping vases, and processing flowers. Those are necessary skills needed to appreciate the end product and understand why each flower is important.
- Proper floral care is unique to every flower.
- Always explore different ways of doing things and share tips with your fellow designers through your own personal aesthetics.
- When creating a bouquet for someone in particular, allow their personality and traits to show through with color, texture, and flower type. Capturing the essence of a person through mother nature is rewarding beyond measure.