Victoria from Pewabic Pottery has some advice when making a slab constructed bowl. Basically, that’s making a bowl off of a bowl mold. It’s a great craft to do with kids or on your own for fun and relaxation. Here we go:
1. Pound a ball of clay into a square shape about 3/4” thick.
2. Throw the slab at an angle to further lengthening and thinning.
3. Use light pressure with a rolling pin to smooth out any unevenness in your slab.
4. Pick up your slab with flat hands and drape over a plaster hump mold. (plaster bowl shape)
5. Gently push down slab to conform to shape of mold.
6. Smooth out with metal or plastic rib. If tools are not accessible a sponge with work also.
7. With knife, a needle tool, or something sharp cut off excess clay around lip of bowl.
8. Continue to smooth out the exterior of the form until your clay has released from mold.
9. Once clay has hardened up and begun to release from the plaster mold, gently pry off the bowl.
10. Allow to stiffen up and decorate with colored slips, underglazes, or stamps.
Victoria is wearing the Carhartt Women’s Clarksburg Sweatshirt. It is slightly fitted with triple stitched seams and perfect for a day in the studio.
Dog’s are not just a man’s best friend. They can be a woman’s too. They generally don’t talk back or interrupt. They love a good cuddle. And they lift up the day say the women at Canine to Five who take care of other people’s dogs during the day and go home to spend time with their own canines during their off hours. Is this a sign of pet obsession gone too far? No way. They just love dogs and hanging out with your furry friends or their own, keeps them contented and healthy. These girls like to share everything with dogs,and they are not afraid of showing real affection for any four-legged friends under their care. They are not alone. According to a 2007 study, about two-thirds of households in the US have at least one pet, and 45 per cent of those families have more than one animal. With humor, soul and a deep knowledge of what it takes to lead, women have long been a part of a dog’s life and training, just like their menfolk.
check out their work gear: Clarksburg Quarter-Zip Sweatshirt, Bergland T-Shirt, & Jasper Jean and Carhartt Women’s Stockbridge Sweatshirt, Women’s Force Performance T-Shirt, & Straight-Fit Jean
Are you looking for fall decorating ideas? Pumpkin bowls are quick and simple. They’re great for serving snacks on Thanksgiving Day before the big meal. They also make inexpensive but elegant centerpieces. Native Americans once used dried pumpkin shells to store grain, beans, and seeds. It’s always cool to pull something historical into your celebrations.
Take a look at my crafting outfit: Carhartt Women’s Rowlesburg Sweatshirt, Clarkston Cami, Slim-Fit Jeans, & Wellington Boots. The Rowlesburg Sweatshirt is one of my favorites. It’s cozy with a thermal lining you can wear around the house or for indoor work. The material is made with Rain Defender™ technology that’s both durable and water repellant, so it transitions to your outdoor jobs as well.
(Save the pumpkin seeds for a trail mix I’ll be posting the recipe for tomorrow!)