Victoria from Pewabic Pottery has some advice when making a slab constructed bowl. Basically, that’s making a bowl off of a bowl mold. It’s a great craft to do with kids or on your own for fun and relaxation. Here we go:
1. Pound a ball of clay into a square shape about 3/4” thick.
2. Throw the slab at an angle to further lengthening and thinning.
3. Use light pressure with a rolling pin to smooth out any unevenness in your slab.
4. Pick up your slab with flat hands and drape over a plaster hump mold. (plaster bowl shape)
5. Gently push down slab to conform to shape of mold.
6. Smooth out with metal or plastic rib. If tools are not accessible a sponge with work also.
7. With knife, a needle tool, or something sharp cut off excess clay around lip of bowl.
8. Continue to smooth out the exterior of the form until your clay has released from mold.
9. Once clay has hardened up and begun to release from the plaster mold, gently pry off the bowl.
10. Allow to stiffen up and decorate with colored slips, underglazes, or stamps.
Victoria is wearing the Carhartt Women’s Clarksburg Sweatshirt. It is slightly fitted with triple stitched seams and perfect for a day in the studio.
I made another trip to the hardware store to get inspiration this week, and it hit me– a candelabra made out of pipes! It’s different, sturdy, and easy to do. This is a great idea for a Valentine’s gift. Make a night out of it; pizza and beer by very rustic candlelight. Use some great textures to to set the table. Faux fur and wool blankets, a nice slab of wood for a flat surface, bamboo plates, his favorite beer, and a nice pizza pie are the perfect set up for a cozy night in. Forget the cards covered in pink hearts and get to the hardware store! This will be a piece you can keep around forever. It’s a fun conversation starter in the home and perfect for late-night picnics.
While you’re at it, cuddle up in this Carhartt Clarksburgh Quarter-Zip Sweatshirt & Copper Harbor Hat.
Dog’s are not just a man’s best friend. They can be a woman’s too. They generally don’t talk back or interrupt. They love a good cuddle. And they lift up the day say the women at Canine to Five who take care of other people’s dogs during the day and go home to spend time with their own canines during their off hours. Is this a sign of pet obsession gone too far? No way. They just love dogs and hanging out with your furry friends or their own, keeps them contented and healthy. These girls like to share everything with dogs,and they are not afraid of showing real affection for any four-legged friends under their care. They are not alone. According to a 2007 study, about two-thirds of households in the US have at least one pet, and 45 per cent of those families have more than one animal. With humor, soul and a deep knowledge of what it takes to lead, women have long been a part of a dog’s life and training, just like their menfolk.
check out their work gear: Clarksburg Quarter-Zip Sweatshirt, Bergland T-Shirt, & Jasper Jean and Carhartt Women’s Stockbridge Sweatshirt, Women’s Force Performance T-Shirt, & Straight-Fit Jean